I’ve really enjoyed the Around the World in 12 Books Challenge this year – only two more books to go! – so I’m keen to do it again and have others join me in trekking across the globe vicariously through the books we read.
Unlike other globe-trotting challenges, this one specifies the countries we visit. In 2012, we stopped by the following countries:
South Africa (January)
Some of these countries, like Tanzania, were challenging to find books for, but not impossible. It is something to keep in mind, though, now that it’s time to suggest some countries for next year’s challenge.
The challenge is quite simple: to read at least 1 book from the designated country, during the assigned month. In reading and writing our reviews, we consider the following:
1. What did you learn about the country’s culture, history etc. from reading this book? Any new insights, any shifts in your perception, or did it align with what you knew/understood already?
2. How did land, geography, flora and fauna feature in the book? Did it have a distinct feel that helped you visualise and made you feel like you were there, or was the story more focused on plot?
3. Did the story make you want to visit/revisit the country, or explore it in a new way if you live there already; did it make you want to read more stories set in the country?
We want to hit the main areas or continents at least once, ideally, and I need your help in picking countries, so please suggest countries for the following areas:
Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, Antarctica etc.)
Middle East (I’m separating this from Africa and Europe)
Otherwise, the challenge has some very simple rules:
1. Books must be set in the country. (For help, try this website, and also check out the lists people compile on Goodreads.)
2. Books should be by an author of that country, if you can find/get hold of one, but foreign authors are okay too.
3. Books must be fiction or memoir. Children’s and YA fiction count too, but not genre fiction (with the exception of literary crime).
4. Books can count towards other challenges.
Thank you for your help in setting up the challenge, and making it so much more fun by participating! Please leave your country suggestions in the comments, and I’ll update this post with a final list in about a month.
Sign up here for the Around the World in 12 Books Challenge 2013:
EDIT: Updated to include the list of 12 countries we will be “travelling” to over the course of the year:
JANUARY = France
FEBRUARY = Sudan
MARCH = Wales
APRIL = South Pacific Islands
MAY = Belgium
JUNE = South Korea
JULY = Israel
AUGUST = Palestine
OCTOBER = China
NOVEMBER = Egypt
DECEMBER = Argentina
There are several websites you can check when looking for books (just google “books set in…”), including this one on Goodreads. (Thanks Jess for that link!)